Wednesday 5 September 2012

Mosaic wall





A few months ago I got a little lost driving through the winding back streets of Bentleigh when I came across this quaint little suburb called Patterson. Nestled away amongst the old homes I found a tiny shopping strip and a train station of an unusual variety. The stations under pass walls are covered in crazy and colourful mosaics of all shapes and sizes creating an unexpected yet inviting glimpse for passes by.  I decided to return recently to fully inspect and appreciate such a wonderful artistic community project that was predominantly crafted by the children from local schools. 

_DSC1178_DSC1143

I couldn’t resist the opportunity to take along my mosaic mirror bag that I made a couple of years ago from a very old choli top worn by the Banjaran tribal women of North India. These various tribes are renown for there beautiful mosaic works in clothing, homes and crafts of which are a constant source of awe and inspiration for me. I'm carrying around my very own piece of art from all the way over in India, and it fits perfectly with the wall don't you think?




_DSC1187




_DSC1152



_DSC1313_DSC1166


_DSC1219
_DSC1173
 All of the white mosaics were done by really young kids. I think they are amazing, so innocent and fun! This one is my favourite, I like the sparkly sun.

SONY DSC
_DSC1182
 _DSC1195 




 _DSC1311

The entire wall is so tactile it just invites you to touch with it's everyday household items such as cups, plates and all kinds of crockery used for facial features like Mr tea cup handle ears below, so funny.



_DSC1176 
_DSC1193

 A familiar iconic red head.



 _DSC1132 _DSC1197
Lunar Parks famous face. 


_DSC1255

Me enjoying the stroll.

i_DSC1194  _DSC1189
_DSC1203 _DSC1196


_DSC1199
The amazing creator. 


_DSC1200
 The sponsors.



_DSC1320
I love tribal jewellery. I am wearing a necklace made of old Indian coins on a shoe lace, Kutchi earrings, good luck Tibetan silver cuff, hand painted Indian wooden bangles, Nepalese OM ring and bag I made from vintage banjara choli.

_DSC1137
The most fun I ever had at a train station!



Thank you to the local community for being so passionate and creative, so inspiring!








 Below are some pictures of the tribal women of India in there exquisite fabrics. 
1
I adore this mirrored wall and aspire to have my very own someday, seriously this is my dream home, lol. 

p16315

Tribal beauty.

HarijansTribe1_9951

Magical!





1 comment:

Nomadic Tara said...

A beautiful celebration of colour Little Wise One! Your choli bag is amazing and matches the wall perfectly. I do hope you get your mirrored wall one day :0). Tara xx